William David Hardy
1. Holland GN, Vaudaux JD, Jeng SM, Yu F, Goldenberg DT, Folz IC, Cumberland WG, McCannel CA, Helm CJ, Hardy WD; UCLA CMV Retinitis Study Group. Characteristics of untreated AIDS-related cytomegalovirus retinitis. I. Findings before the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy (1988 to 1994). Am J Ophthalmol. 2008 Jan;145(1):5-11.
2. Palys EE, Li J, Gaut PL, Hardy WD. Tricuspid valve endocarditis with Group B Streptococcus after an elective abortion: the need for new data. Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol. 2006;2006:43253.
3. Ketring KL, Zuckerman EE, Hardy WD Jr. Bartonella: a new etiological agent of feline ocular disease. J Am Anim Hosp Assoc. 2004 Jan-Feb;40(1):6-12.
4. Van Vuuren M, Stylianides E, Kania SA, Zuckerman EE, Hardy WD Jr. Evaluation of an indirect enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay for the detection of feline lentivirus-reactive antibodies in wild felids, employing a puma lentivirus-derived synthetic peptide antigen. Onderstepoort J Vet Res. 2003 Mar;70(1):1-6.
5. Lalezari JP, Friedberg DN, Bissett J, Giordano MF, Hardy WD, Drew WL, Hubbard LD, Buhles WC, Stempien MJ, Georgiou P, Jung DT, Robinson CA; Roche Cooperative Oral Ganciclovir Study Group. High dose oral ganciclovir treatment for cytomegalovirus retinitis. J Clin Virol. 2002 Feb;24(1-2):67-77.
6. Goodgame JC, Pottage JC, Jablonowski H, Hardy WD, Stein A, Fischl M, Morrow P, Feinberg J, Brothers CH, Vafidis I, Nacci P, Yeo J, Pedneault L. Amprenavir in combination with lamivudine and zidovudine versus lamivudine and zidovudine alone in HIV-1-infected antiretroviral-naïve adults. Amprenavir PROAB3001 International Study Team. Antivir Ther 5: 215-225, 2000.
7. Jacobson MA, Hardy D, Connick E, Watson J, DeBruin M. Phase 1 trial of a single dose recombinant human interleukin-12 in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients with 100-500 CD4 cells/microL. J Infect Dis: 182(4):1070-1076, 2000.
8. Javaly K, Wohlfeiler M, Kalayjian R, Klein T, Bryson Y, Grafford K, Martin-Munley S, Hardy WD. Treatment of mucocutaneous herpes simplex virus infections unresponsive to acyclovir with topical foscarnet cream in AIDS patients: A phase I/II study. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 21:301-306, 1999.
9. Pollard RB, Peterson D, Hardy WD, Pottage J, Murphy RL, Gathe J, Beall G, Rutkievicz V, Reynolds L, Cross AP, Dunkle LM. Safety and antiretroviral effects of combined didanosine and stavudine therapy in HIV-infected individuals with CD4 counts of 200 to 500 cells/mm3. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 1999 Sep 1;22(1):39-48.
10. Kahn J, Lagakos St, Wulfsohn M, Cherng D, Miller M, Cherrington J, Hardy D, Beall G, Cooper R, Murphy R, Basgoz L, Ng E, Deeks S, Winslow D, Toole J, Coakley D. Efficay and safety of adefovir dipivoxil with antiretroviral therapy: A randomized Controlled trial. JAMA 282:2305-12, 1999.
11. Lalezari JP, Holland GN, Kramer F, McKinley GF, Kemper CA, Ives DV, Nelson R, Hardy WD, Kuppermann BD, Northfelt DW, Youle M, Johnson M, Lewis RA, Weinberg DV, Simon GL, Wolitz RA, Ruby AE, Stagg RJ, Jaffe HS. Randomized, controlled study of the safety and efficacy of intravenous cidofovir for the treatment of relapsing cytomegalovirus retinitis in patients with AIDS. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr Hum Retrovir 17:339-344, 1998.
12. Freedberg KA, Hardy WD, Holzman RS, Tosteson AN, Craven DE. Validating literature-based models with direct clinical trial results: the cost-effectiveness of secondary prophylaxis for PCP in AIDS patients. Med Decis Making 16:29-35, 1996.
13. Dolin R, Amato DA, Fischl MA, Pettinelli C, Beltangady M, Liou SH, Brown MJ, Cross AP, Hirsch MS, Hardy WD, et al. Zidovudine compared with didanosine in patients with advanced HIV type 1 infection and little or no previous experience with zidovudine. AIDS Clinical Trials Group. Arch Intern Med 155:961-974, 1995.
14. Petersen FA, Ramirez-Ronda CH, Hardy WD, et al. Dose-related activity of stavudine in patients infected with human immunodeificency virus. J Infect Dis 171 (Suppl 2):S131-139, 1995.
15. Beal JE, Olson R, Laubenstein L, Morales JO, Bellman P, Yangco B, Lefkowitz I, Plasse TF, Shepard KV, (Study Team, Hardy WD). Dronabinol as a treatment for anorexia associated with weight loss in patients with AIDS. J Pain Symp Management 10(2):89-97, 1995.
16. Fischl MA, Lim L, Richman DD, Pettinelli C, LoFaro ML, Balfour HH, Hardy WD, Dolin R, Para F, Carey JT, Allan JD, Powderly WG, Merigan TC, Wong B, Collier AC. The long-term safety and efficacy of zidovudine in the treatment of patients with mildy symptomatic human immunodeficiency virus type I (HIV) infection: The potential value of early verus later treatment interruption. Ann Inter Med 1994.
17. Volberding PA, Lagakos SW, Grimes JM, Stein DS, Rooney J, Meng T-C, Fischl MA, Collier AC, Phair JP, Hirsch MS, Hardy WD, Balfour HH, Reichman RC. Immediate versus deferred zidovudine in asymptomatic HIV-infected subjects with CD4 cell counts of 400 per microliter or greater. N Engl J Med, 1994.
18. Hardy WD, Spector S, Polsky B, Crumpacker C, van der Horst C, Holland G, Freeman W, Heinemann MK, Sharuk G, Klystra J, Chown M and the ACTG 073 Team. Combination of ganciclovir and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor in the treatment of cytomegalovirus retinitis in AIDS patients. Eur J Clin Microbial Infect Dis 2:34-40, 1994.
19. Wu AW, Rubin HR, Mathews WC, Brysk LM, Bozzette SA, Hardy WD, Atkinson JH, Grant, I, Spector SA, McCutchan JA, et al. Functional status and well-being in a placebo-controlled trial of zidovudine in early symptomatic HIV infection. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 6:452-458, 1993.
20. Jacobson MA, Causey D, Polsky B, Hardy D, Chown M, Davis R, O’Donnell JJ, Kupper-Mann B, Heinemann M-H, Holland G, Mills J, Feinberg JE. Randomized dose-ranging study of daily maintenance intravenous foscarnet therapy for cytomegalovirus retinitis in AIDS (ACTG 015/915). J Inf Dis 168:444-448, 1993.
21. Hardy WD, Feinberg J, Finkelstein DM, Power ME, He W, Kaczka C, Frame PT, Holmes M, Waskin H, Fass RJ, et al. A controlled trial of trimethorpin-sulfamethoxazole or aerosolized pentamidine for secondary prophylaxis of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. AIDS Clinical Trials Group Protocol 021. N Engl J Med 327:1842-1848, 1992.
22. U. S. Public Health Service Task Force on Prophylaxis Against Pneumocystis Pneumonia in HIV Infection (Hardy WD – member). Recommendations for prophylaxis against Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia for adults and adolescents infected with HIV. JAMA 267:2294-2299, 1992.
23. Bass HZ, Nishanian P, Hardy WD, Mitsuyasu RT, Esmail E, Cumberland W, Fahey JL. Immune changes in HIV-1 infection: significant correlations and differences in serum markers and lymphoid phenotypic antigens. Clin Immunol Immunopathol 64:63-70, 1992.
24. Hardy WD. Foscarnet treatment of acyclovir-resistant herpes simplex virus infection in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome: preliminary results of a controlled, randomized, regimen-comparative trial. Am J Med 14;92(2A):30S-35S, 1992.
25. Bass HZ, Hardy WD, Mitsuyasu RT, Wang YX, Cumberland W, Fahey JL. Eleven lymphoid phenotypic markers in HIV infection: selective changes induced by zidovudine treatment. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 5:890-897, 1992.
26. Bass HZ, Hardy WD, Mitsuyasu RT, et al. The effect of zidovudine treatment on serum neopterin and beta 2-microglobulin levels in mildly symptomatic, HIV type 1 seropositive individuals. J Acquir Immune Def Syndr 5:215-221, 1992.
27. Kahn JO, Lagokos SW, Richman DD, Cross A, Pettinelli C, Hardy WD and the NIAID AIDS Clinical Trials Group. A controlled trial comparing zidovudine with didanosine in human immunodeficiency virus infection. N Engl J Med 327:581-587, 1992.
28. Panosian CB, Cohen L, Bruckner D, Berlin G, Hardy WD. Fever, leukopenia and a cutaneous lesion in a man who had recently traveled in Africa. Rev Infect Dis 13:1131-1138, 1991.
29. Janoff EN, Hardy WD, Smith PD, Wahl SM. Humoral recall responses in HIV infection. Levels, specificity and affinity of antigen-specific IgG. J Immunol 147:2130-2135, 1991.
30. Wu AW, Rubin HR, Mathews WC, Ware JE Jr, Brysk LT, Hardy WD, Bozzette SA, Spector SA, Richman DD. A health status questionnaire using 30 items from the Medical Outcomes Study. Preliminary validation in persons with HIV infection. Med Care 29:786-798, 1991.
31. Hardy WD. Combined ganciclovir and recombinant human granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor in the treatment of cytomegalovirus retinitis in AIDS patients. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 1:S22-28, 1991.
32. Fischl MA, Richman DD, Hansen N, Collier AC, Carey JT, Para MF, Hardy WD, Dolin R, Powderly WG, Allan JD, et al. The safety and efficacy of zidovudine (AZT) in the treatment of subjects with mildly symptomatic human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV) infection. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Ann Inter Med 112:727-737, 1990.
33. Engstrom RE Jr, Holland GN, Hardy WD, Meiselman HJ. Hemorheologic abnormalities in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection and ophthalmic microvascularpathy. Am J Ophthalmol 109:153-161, 1990.
34. Volberding PA, Lagakos SW, Koch MA, Pettinelli C, Myers M, Booth D, Balfour HH Jr, Reichman RC, Bartlett JA, Hirsch MS, Murphy RL, Hardy WD, et al. Zidovudine in asymptomatic human immunodeficiency virus infection: a controlled trial in persons with fewer than 500 CD4-positive cells per cubic millimeter. N Engl J Med 322:941-949, 1990.
35. Fischl MA, Richman DD, Causey DM, Grieco MH and the AZT Collaborative Working Group (Hardy WD). Prolonged zidovudine therapy in patients with AIDS and advanced AIDS-related complex. JAMA 262:2405-2410, 1989.
36. Fay MT, Freeman WR, Wiley CA, Hardy WD, Bozzette S. Atypical retinitis in patients with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. Am j Ophthalmol 105:483-490, 1988.
37. Holland GN, Sidikaro Y, Dreiger AE, Hardy WD, Sakamoto MJ, Frenkel LM, Winston DJ, Gottlieb MS, Bryson YJ, Champlin RE, Ho WG, Winters RE, Wolfe PR, Cherry JD. Treatment of cytomegalovirus retinopathy with ganciclovir. Ophthalmology 94:815-823, 1987.
38. Holland GN, Sakamoto MJ, Hardy WD, Sidikaro Y, Krieger AE, Frenkel LM. Treatment of cytomegalovirus retinopathy in patients with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome – Use of experimental drug 9-(2-Hydroxyl-1 (Hydroxymethyl) Ethoxymethyl) guanine. Arch Ophthalmol 104:1794-1800, 1986.
39. Gottlieb MS, Wolfe PR, Fahey JL, Knight S, Hardy WD, Eppolito L, Ashida E, Patel A, Beall G, Sun N. The syndrome of persistent generalized lymphadenopathy: Experience/ with 101 patients. AIDS-Related Syndromes. Sudhir Gupta, ed, Plenum Publishing, 1985:85-91.
40. Ahmed RA, Kaplan RP, Hardy WD, Feldman E, Pitt H. Bullous pemphigoid and ulcerative colitis. Int J Dermatol 21:594-598, 1982.